In this article, we are going to learn more about the real-time motion sensor MPU-9050.
MPU-9250 sensor module
MPU9250 is a multi-purpose sensor that is based on the Micro Electro Mechanical Systems architecture (MEMS). The MPU9250 is a 9 DOF real-time motion tracking device. It contains a 3D Gyroscope, 3D magnetometer, and 3D accelerometer. It has a very small high-performance IC that has a 16-bit analog-to-digital converter. This module also has an in-built temperature sensor. This module uses an I2C communication protocol for interfacing with the microcontrollers.
The MPU9250 9-DOF sensor Module can provide acceleration, angle change, and magnetic field on 3 axes x, y, and z with high speed and accuracy. This module also features an in-built temperature sensor that can measure the temperature range between -40 to +85 degrees Celsius.
- The above figure shows the default orientations. The orientations for the accelerometer and the gyroscope are the same.
- But the axes of orientation for the compass (magnetometer) are very much different.
Specifications of the MPU9250 Sensor
|Features and Peripherals||Availability|
|SPI Data Rate||1 Mhz|
|SPI Fast Data Reading Rate||20 Mhz|
|I2C Data Rate||400 kHz|
|FIFO buffer||512 Bytes|
|Auxiliary I2C interface||1|
|Operating Voltage||2.4-3.6 Volts|
|Digital Output Temperature Sensor||Yes|
|User-Programmable Digital Filters||Yes|
Construction of the Sensor
- First comes the MPU9250 IC which contains a magnetometer, a gyroscope, and an accelerometer. The IC also does all the processing.
- The Input/output headers are used to supply power to the board and to transfer data to and from the microcontrollers.
- The LDO is used as a voltage regulator. It is used to reduce the voltage to 3.3V to increase the efficiency of the IC.
- The Decoupling capacitors will remove the unwanted noise from the signals.
Pin Configuration for MPU9250
- INT: Interrupt Pin.
- nCS: Chip selection.
- FSYNC: Frame synchronization input pin.
- AD0: I2C Address.
- ECL: I2C Serial clock for external sensors.
- EDA: I2C Serial data for external sensors.
- SCL: I2C/SPI Serial clock.
- SDA: I2C/SPI Serial data.
- GND: Ground pin.
- VCC: Power supply pin.
Interfacing with Arduino
Pins on MPU-9250
Pins on Arduino Uno
- First, download the MPU-9250 library and then install it. You can download that library here.
- Install the library in Arduino IDE. Restart Arduino IDE.
- Upload the code to the Arduino board.
- This example code will print 3 gyro values, 3 accelerometer values, and 3 magnetic field values to the serial monitor.
I hope you learned something about the MPU9250 sensor today and I hope you liked it. Thank you.